Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mongolian Grill

Mongolian Grill, Columbia
This is the ultimate "have it your way" place. At the Mongolian Grill you get to choose from a wide array of meats, seafood, fresh vegetables, noodles, rice, sauces and spices. You can mix and match to your heart's content in the bowl, then hand it off to the cook. In a few minutes the dish comes piping hot to your table, fresh from the "grill" (griddle?). If you don't like what you get, you can only blame yourself...but it's easy to start over again. It's all you can eat, and there's an extensive salad bar, too. We've never left hungry. The Mongolian Grill is not the most elegant place in town, but it is family friendly and locally owned.

Mongolian Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review! My two complaints about Mongolian Grill are the sauces are massively watered down (it's the reason I don't go there anymore) and the dishes are not individually stir fried. There have been many times when I've found a good amount of mushrooms or carrots in my dish even though I did not include them in my bowl. Eeew!

billz said...

Point taken about the watered down sauces but I think there's still enough variety and flavorings to concoct something pretty good -- the problem for me is I can rarely duplicate it from bowl to bowl. But that's part of the adventure.

I've also had some mystery items show up in my bowl once it's cooked, especially when the place is busy. But it hasn't been a deal breaker for me.

I used to love Tony Cheng's Mongolian Grill in DC (but haven't been there in ages -- don't know if it's still there or as good). There you had to stand and watch them cook your dish, so it was part of the show and quality control at the same time. I guess you could do the same at the Columbia Mongolian Grill -- nothing's stopping you.

That reminds me of the wonderful sesame buns at Tony Cheng's. They were the main starch -- no rice or noodles to mess up the grill -- and we used to stuff the meat and veggies into them for little sandwiches. Yum.

Short of a trip to DC (if it's even still there) are there any Mongolian Grill places in the area that offer a more "authentic" meal?