Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Canopy Pit Beef

The Canopy is take-out only spot for good pit beef and pit turkey sandwiches. Their fries are also mighty good, reminiscent of Boardwalk's or Thrashers. The Canopy also has BBQ ribs and a few other items, but I frankly never get beyond the pit beef or turkey sandwiches and the fries.

If you look on the web, you won't find a Canopy web site, but you will find a lot of foodie discussions about the relative merits of Canopy vs. other pit beef places. I won't get into a religious war over whether this is the best pit beef in the area, but it is plenty good for me, especially with the right mix of toppings. It also helps to be able to get home in time to eat the fries while they're nice and hot -- once they cool they get soggy and it's not the same.

The Canopy in Ellicott City had a fire a few years ago and was closed for a long time, so it's good to have it back. There used to be some other Canopy locations in the area, but I think they're down to this one and Glen Burnie. In any case, I'm glad there's a year-round place for a good pit beef fix.

The Canopy
9319 Baltimore National Pike (Rt. 40), Ellicott City, MD
Tel: (410) 838-1201

Canopy on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge pit beef fan but this place is good. I do need to add a little horseradish as a topping to make it right but I assume thats kosher (not a Md. native)?

I prefer the turkey sandwich with some honey mustard, thats excellent and yeh the fries are darn good.

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.